Thursday, August 15, 2013

Joan's Gardens Challenge

Sorry everyone ... I know this is my 2nd post today but I just couldn't help myself !!!

Check out the requirements for this week's challenge at Joan's Gardens . . .
  • 3 flowers out of vellum (or you can use flowers you purchased)
  • Colors - Golden Yellow and Violet
  • Mesh or tulle 
  • Stencil on paper  (if possible)
  • You must use a product sold at Joan's Gardens
So, of course I just had to get busy and jump on this.  I spent most of my day toying around with flowers then had to decide what to do with them ... WELL ... I decided to alter an 8x10 canvas instead of making a card this time.  Here's what I came up with!  What do you think?

FROM THIS:

















TO THIS:
 
I am so excited about the outcome of this project {doing the happy dance!}
Here's a quick run down on how I created this piece . . .
  • Created my flowers using yellow and purple vellum, sparkly white tulle and Heartfelt Creations 'Sun Kissed Fleur' HCD734 die set.  Leaves are from the Heartfelt Creations Classic Leaf HCD736 die set onto a scrap of light green paper which was painted with Tim Holtz 'Peeled Paint' Distress Stain.
  • Cut a piece of design paper 7 1/2" x 9 1/2" for my background.
  • Sprayed  the top of my background paper with E6000 adhesive spray and attached pieces of scrap sparkly white tulle.
  • Did some fussy cutting on my chosen focus design paper from the Kaiser Craft 'Sweet Nothings' 6 1/2" paper pack ... which was matted with a torn corner of design paper from the Prima 'Sweet Fairy' 6x6 paper pack.  The other 'Sweet Fairy' corner is in the upper left corner under the flowers.
  • Using the same E6000 adhesive spray, I adhered my design paper corners.
  • Next I placed a little JudiKins Mica Gloss 'Amethyst' Metallic Effects Ink onto my craft sheet, then crumpled up some small bubble wrap and 'sponged' here and there over the tulle as well as the design paper image.
  • Now it was time to position and adhere my flowers/leaves and add my Impression Obsession stamp.
The sentiment reads:
Let your soul take wings ...
Resist the downward pull and sing ...
Amy Carmichael

Thought I'd share a close up of my flowers.  I am very pleased with how they came together too!  I actually die cut the tulle and vellum at the same time and layered the tulle in between some of the layers ... they are so soft looking IRL ...

click on image to enlarge
I just love getting involved in a challenge that really challenges me sometimes and today was that kind of day!  I get so busy with other things that I don't take time to really be 'creative' but today I think I was successful and actually quite pleased with myself!  LOL!!

Anyways ... thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll give Joan's challenge a try!
Now I'd like to share this creation with a few additional challenges:
Altered Eclectics - Alter Something
CardandScrap - Anything Goes
Ladybug Crafts - Something Floral
Crafting with Dragonflies - Alter Something
Crafting By Designs - Anything Goes
Digistamps4Joy - Make your own embellishments
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
The Outlawz Twisted Thursday Challenge - Anything Goes + Twist=Mixed Media (must be a member)

Thanks again and as always . . .

20 comments:

  1. You are always creative, even when you feel you didn't achieve much, because you are pushing your boundaries and learning stuff! You certainly learnt enough to make a stunning canvas item. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this stunner with us at Crafting with Dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene this is gorgeous. I am so glad you had fun creating this beautiful canvas. Great job on your flowers and your stenciling. I love the look!

    Thanks for joining us at Joan's Gardens for our weekly challenge at Joan's Gardens.
    Joan
    www.atjoansgardens.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowser - bet that isn't even a word and there are no words to say how beautiful your card is...great job..see ya soon
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful creation with great details and perfect for our ‘Handmade Embellishments’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dar, this is just stunning. You should be very proud of this beautiful creation. I especially loved the idea of you using tulle layered with the other petals of your flower, and I might just have to steal this idea. I would have never thought of that, and appreciate you sharing with us this clever, inventive idea! Blessings on your day. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful Dar!!! The flowers are gorgeous, and how creative to add the tulle to them...actually the entire project is gorgeous and I love all the pretty colors you have used.....good luck on the challenges, this looks like a winner to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dar, your canvas is gorgeous! I love every detail, the colors, the way you used the bubble wrap to create background. And, the flowers...oh my, absolutely beautiful. Thank you for playing along with us at Altered Eclectics. Hugs, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!! You've given me some ideas for making flowers. Thanks for joining us at DS4J for this challenge.
    Margaret, DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super flot. Tak for at du er med på udfordringen hos Card and scrap.
    DT Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darlene, I sure wanted to get over to your blog and tell you how beautiful your canvas turned out. I had so much fun creating my project and thank you for your wonderful comment. What a great idea cutting the tulle out when you cut the flowers, that gives the flowers a little extra sparkle as well as added texture. Love the bubble wrap idea more great texture. I'm so glad you join us for our challenge at Twisted Thursday.
    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. You are one talented lady!
    Rita Crabb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Dar! It's fabulously gorgeous!! Love your mixed media canvas! The flowers are amazing. This is really cool, Dar. Hugs from FL :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is spectacular. A really beautiful project superb layout and awesome colours. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies. Ina DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darlene - it is so pretty. I'm with you, it's fun to learn new things!! Pretty Pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is soooo pretty, Dar! Love the artsy feel of this card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darlene,
    Such beautiful flowers on the layout. The whole piece is stunningly beautiful. I just heard about Elmer's spray glue which has opened a whole new spectrum of paper craft possibilities.
    Thank you so much dropping in with your art today. Remember you can post up to five times which increases your opportunity to win. We hope you come back next week.
    Blessings,
    Carole Robb Bisson
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty, Dar! Just as lovely as a piece found in an expensive home décor shop. Thank you for sharing your talents with us. I SO enjoy having you play along in our challenges, and always look forward to seeing your sweet creations. Have a blessed week!
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely altered canvas, great details and colours, thanks for playing with us at crafting with dragonflies, blessings Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning canvas , love the image and the colour. Thanks for joining us at Crafting with dragonflies on our alter Something challenge Hugs Txx DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so awesome. Love the flowers and the colors you used to make this wonderful card. Thanks for blessing us with a great project this week at Word Art Wednesday. Hugs and blessings...

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.